[Sigiii-l] FW: Sue O'Neill Johnson

pkjain pkjain at ieg.ernet.in
Fri Oct 5 03:44:27 EDT 2007

Condolence Resolution passed by the Indian Library and Information
Science Professionals

We, all the Library and Information Science Professionals, wish to place
on record our shock and grief at the passing away of Sue Snyder O'Neill
Johnson on September 27, 2007. We shall remember her contribution to
Information Professionals and me of developing countries and as a long
time mentor with a deep sense of appreciation and gratitude.

I met her first time on 22 October 1998 when she was working with Word
Bank and she visited our Library in Delhi, India with Douglas L Johnson.
Till then, I was in regular contact with her. I am very much grateful to
her. Due to her efforts, SIG III, ASIS&T started International Paper
Competition for information professionals of developing countries. Many
Information Professional from developing countries have been benefited
from her efforts. She got many awards from SLA and ASIS&T and she was
very co-operative, sincere and helpful for all professionals of
developing countries. She was very sweet nature. She really loved
meeting and talking different persons all over the world.

She was my mentor during SLA Conference during October 2000 in U.K. She
also supported me to attend ASIS&T annual meeting during October 2003 in
Long Beach, USA. Again on her recommendation, I got DDLP award from SLA
2004. Her contributions as a policy maker through her life have been
very influential. She was like my elder sister, mentor and a good
friend. Sue Snyder O'Neill Johnson will be deeply missed by all
professionals and me.

All of us join to offer our deepest condolences to the members of the
bereaved family and pray that the Almighty give them the strength to
bear this irreparable loss.

P.K.Jain and all Library and Information Science Professionals in India
Deputy Librarian
Institute of Economic Growth
University of Delhi
DELHI. India- 110007