[Sigiii-l] Fwd.: Microsoft Wins "Best Campaigner against OOXML Standardization" Award

M.J. Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Fri Oct 5 11:16:56 EDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:36:35 +0200
> From: Soenke Zehle <s.zehle at kein.org>
> Subject: <incom> Microsoft Wins "Best Campaigner against OOXML Standardization" Award
> To: incom <incom-l at incommunicado.info>
>

> http://www.noooxml.org/irregularities
> http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_awards_Microsoft_%22Best_Campaigner_against_OOXML_Standardization%22_prize
>
> FFII awards Microsoft "Best Campaigner against OOXML Standardization" prize
>
> Brussels, 1st October 2007 -- Microsoft itself is the surprise winner of
> the FFII's "Kayak Prize 2007", offered by the FFII in its <NO>OOXML call
> for rejection of Microsoft's Office Open XML (OOXML) standards proposal.
> The software monopolist is honored as "Best Campaigner against OOXML
> Standardization".
>
> On September 3rd, ISO announced that the Microsoft proposal had not
> gathered enough support to be accepted as it is. ISO will now review the
> comments made on the proposal, and make a final decision in February
> 2008. FFII president Pieter Hintjens explains, "we could never have done
> this by ourselves. By pushing so hard to get OOXML endorsed, even to the
> point of loading the standards boards in Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland,
> Portugal, Italy, and beyond, Microsoft showed to the world how poor
> their format is. Good standards just don't need that kind of pressure.
> All together, countries made over ten thousands technical comments, a
> new world record for an ISO vote. Microsoft made a heroic ? and costly ?
> effort to discredit their own proposal, and we're sincerely grateful to
> them."
>
> The FFII Board says the monopolist can collect its prize of 2,500 Euros,
> minus the cost of registering the noooxml.org domain, 12 euros. FFII
> vice-president Alberto Barrionuevo explains, "we ran a cheap campaign,
> mostly through that single website. So we're happy with a token
> reimbursement of our costs. Several of the Kayak prize nominees told us
> they did not want any financial reward for their work. So if Microsoft
> does not send someone to the award ceremony, we'll give the money to the
> Peruvian earthquake fund."
>
> 50,000 people from almost a hundred countries have signed the FFII's
> petition against OOXML to date. Hintjens concludes, "OOXML is not yet
> dead, even though it's been seriously discredited. Microsoft has one
> last chance to fix the design flaws and patent problems, and present a
> clean proposal next February. We think they will make cosmetic fixes and
> then push all the harder. It's exactly the worst approach and will
> alienate many governments, possibly spelling the end of their global
> office monopoly."
>
> Background Information
>
> ISO member organizations started on a fast-track process for the
> 6000-page Microsoft OOXML format, despite problems highlighted by the
> FFII in an open letter in January 2007. Among other shortcomings,
> [...]

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, SLAIS, University College London, U.K.
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Chair ASIS&T International Relations Committee http://www.asis.org/irc.html
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou[at]gmail[dot]com