[Sigiii-l] Fundraising to Support ASIST's International Paper Contest: Introduction and Planning

domole at worldbank.org domole at worldbank.org
Sat Aug 12 17:38:43 EDT 2006

Dear all,

On Friday, October 6 2006, 6-8pm, at the Kenya Embassy grounds, Washington DC
[2249 R Street, N.W. ], SIG III will be having a fundraiser to support the
International Paper Contest and we have a strong committee already forming up.
At the fundraiser, there will be wine, soft drinks, lots of food, African door
prizes, Kenyan music, a video on Kenya and the Ambassador will speak.

As you may be aware, the International Paper Contest is a competition aimed not
only at empowering information professionals from developing countries but also
at contributing to the growing body of knowledge of the information profession.
It also puts ASIST firmly on the international map and it hasn't failed in these
endeavours thanks to your usual support! Many professionals have benefited from
this program which pays for their annual ASIST membership dues if they are
winners, received sponsorship to attend our annual meetings and secured
networking opportunities with colleagues from other countries as well as other
organizations. Many of you may already be having very rewarding professional
relationships and expanded your network thanks to the paper contest. Todate, we
have received 270 papers from 323 authors from 51 countries. The contest is
virtually popular in the entire developing world and continues to break new
useful ground each succeeding year.  In order to do all these, we have counted
on the support of good friends like you and compassionate generous donors who
have always been willing to pitch in.

I would therefore like to extend a special invitation to you to join an already
eager, agile and energetic committee to raise funds for this noble event.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you would like to be a
committee member. Participation can either be virtually by email and if you are
residing within the Washington metropolitan area, you have a chance to meet and
interact face to face with a team that you will find rewarding and useful.

As soon as I hear from you, I will send you more specific details as to meeting
times, locations and the agenda.

Regards and Best Wishes,

Duncan Omole,
Chair-Elect, ASIST SIG III 2006-07.