[Sigiii-l] Updates - SIG III International Paper Contest Fundraising Campaign

Nadia Caidi nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 10 12:46:11 EDT 2006

*Elsevier, Eugene Garfield Foundation, SIGs, Chapters, LIS Schools, and
Individuals have contributed $7,220 to the ASIST SIG III International
Paper Contest*

SIG III would like to thank the generous donors for their support for
the International Paper Contest, who have helped raise $7,220 since
mid-March 2006. The SIG III fundraising campaign is ongoing and we
welcome contributions to keep the program going.

Here is the list of donors that have received as of August 10, 2006:

-Institutional Donors
Eugene Garfield Foundation: $2,150
Elsevier: $2,000
Kent State University SLIS: $500
Drexel University College of IST: $500
ASIST Chicago Chapter: $500
ASIST Los Angeles Chapter (LACASIS): $300
University of Western Ontario: $250
University of South Carolina: $200
Information International Association: $100
University of Toronto: $100
ASIST European Chapter: $100
ASIST Central Ohio Chapter: $100

-Individual donors: $375
Bonnie Carroll, Lucy Te-Chu Lee, D. Rajabooshanam, Julian Warner

-In-Kind Donations
Two copies of the “Berkshire Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction”
by Berkshire Publishing Group. (awarded to the second authors of the
top-ranked 2nd and 3rd Paper Contest winners).

This year marks the seventh anniversary of the ASIST SIG III
International Paper Contest on International Digital Libraries and
Information Science & Technology Advances in Developing Countries. The
International Paper Contest is one of the most successful programs run
by SIG III each year. The papers submitted represent important
developments in information science, and they serve to advance the
information profession worldwide.

To date, 323 authors of 270 papers from 51 countries/areas have
participated in the SIG III International Paper Contest. Many of the
papers have been published in library and information literature,
including the International Information and Library Review and the
Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology.
In addition, contest winners often see advances in their professional
careers. Their stories are posted on the ASIST SIG III website at
http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIII/. This valuable opportunity would not be
available without the financial support provided by all of our generous
donors.

The raised funds will support two-year ASIST memberships for six to
eight of the paper contest winners each year and cover expenses of the
top winner(s) to travel from his or her home country to the ASIST Annual
Meeting. Since the first paper contest in 2000, through this program,
SIG III has sponsored over forty two-year ASIST memberships to contest
winners from 15 different countries, and has supported 16 winners to
attend the ASIST Annual Meeting.

SIG III is currently reaping the benefits of our International Paper
Contest fundraising campaign, which is bringing in donations from all
over the world. As in the past years, SIG III was privileged enough to
receive donations from various ASIST Chapters (including the newly
formed European Chapter), many of which donate on a regular basis, and
others that have contributed greatly to our fundraising effort
throughout the past several years. Elsevier has also been a constant
help, donating $3000 this year ($2000 for the International Paper
Contest alone, and another $1000 for the International Reception). The
Eugene Garfield Foundation has also generously provided us with $2150.
We are also thankful to the LIS schools throughout North America that
have contributed generously to this campaign. Finally, thanks to
individual donors and to Berkshire Publishing, which has graciously
offered two copies of their Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction.
We would like to thank all of these donors for their ongoing support, as
it means a great deal to us. We are also extremely grateful for the help
of these donors. Without their contributions, we would not be able to
run the International Paper Contest, which benefits so many scholars and
information professionals around the world. Additionally, we would like
to thank all the individual donors who have contributed in the past and
will contribute again in the future.
Finally, we would like to thank the Executive Director Richard Hill and
Director of Finance Janice Hatzakos at ASIST headquarters for their help
in processing the donations and making them available for our digital
scholar funds.

The officers and members of SIG III are always working diligently to
make this SIG the best it can be. Between this effort and all the
support received this year, it is certain that this year’s International
Paper Contest will be just as successful as it has been in the past
years. Again, thanks for the continued support.

For more information about the International Paper Contest, please visit
the International Paper Contest section of the SIG III website
(http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIII/).

Nadia Caidi, SIG III Chair, 2005-2006.
---------
We would greatly appreciate more donations to keep this paper
competition running. If this is possible, please send a check, made
payable to:
ASIST for the "Digital Scholars Fund,"
attn: Richard Hill
Executive Director, ASIST
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA

We thank you for your generosity in contributing to this International
Paper Contest that has benefited so many people.