[Sigiii-l] Plaza (3)

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 4 14:49:44 EDT 2003

(student)

Position Statement

Professional Life

It was a contract position in data collection and management that
started me off with information systems. Now I am halfway through my
Masters degree
in information studies, with a keen interest in image-based search and
retrieval. The field makes the most of my abilities working with
computers, words, and people. I consider myself fortunate to be involved
in a discipline that is thriving both academic and commercially. Just
last week, I was hired to upgrade and redesign a database of the Faculty
Association at my university. The work is challenging and enjoyable, and
the pay outstanding, while the experience I gain may open up other
opportunities for me down the road. My hope is that the skills I develop
in school will be in demand all over the world and that I shall be able
to use them to support myself wherever I happen to settle in life.

Personal Life

In many respects, the friendship and romance services currently
available on-line epitomize the potentials and the risks associated with
information and communication technologies. Such web sites provide
access to many more people and places than was even imaginable without
them. In my own personal experience, I have both enjoyed successes and
incurred problems when communicating with others by technologically
mediated devices. For instance, the initial stumbling block of
approaching a person is rendered somewhat less intimidating by the
inherent separation; when relations become more serious, however, the
separation can be encumbering in its own right. Perhaps the best
solution is for ICTs to enhance face-to-face contact, rather than stand
in for it. In any case, I am grateful to have met and kept in touch with
dear friends on the Internet. As with any social venture, the on-line
method has its hazards; yet I deem the outcomes worth it.