[Sigiii-l] Plaza (2)

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 4 14:44:38 EDT 2003

Position Statement:  How an academic reference librarian is affected by
globalization

One effect of the globalization of the information society is the
increase in students who travel abroad for their education.  Presently,
over 130 000 foreign students come to Canadian academic institutions
every year (Citizenship and Immigration Canada, 2003).  Like all
students, developing information literacy is vital to an international
student's success, and the task of assisting students to achieve this
will naturally fall to academic librarians.

Despite this pressing need for information literacy, studies have shown
that international students get little out of library orientation tours
(Downing & Klein, 2001) and often do not attend bibliographic
instruction classes at all (Conteh-Morgan, 2002).  As well, it has been
my observation that in reference transactions many librarians have
difficulty communicating with foreign library users.  Often the
librarians cannot understand the students' accents well, and in turn the
students have trouble comprehending the answers to their queries.

Consequently, those of us wishing to pursue a career in academic
librarianship would do well to equip ourselves with a number of skills.
For example, second language teaching techniques and an awareness of
different learning styles may help improve comprehension in
bibliographic sessions or tours.  By providing a list of relevant
vocabulary and a variety of auditory and visual cues, a student's
comprehension will increase dramatically.  Furthermore, students tend to
learn new information more easily if it is taught in relation to prior
knowledge, so if we gain some understanding of libraries in other
nations, we can relate the lesson objectives to what the students
already know.  Finally, a familiarity with the cultures, languages
and/or the accents of the populations we are serving would greatly
improve communication between our users and ourselves.

The information science community must therefore offer opportunities for
academic librarians to acquire cultural literacy and second-language
teaching techniques as well as strategies to better communicate with
international users. In that way, we may provide these students with
sufficient information literacy to achieve success at university.

Reference List

Citizenship and Immigration Canada. (2003, April 7). Studying in Canada.
Retrieved September 25, 2003, from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/

Conteh-Morgan, M. (2002). Empowering ESL students: A new model for
information
literacy instruction. Research Strategies, 18, p. 29-38.

Downing, A., & Klein, L.R. (2001). A multilingual virtual tour for
international students:
The web-based library at Baruch College opens doors. College and
Research Libraries, 62(5), p. 500-502.