[Sigiii-l] Plaza (4)

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 4 14:51:14 EDT 2003

(student)

What in your opinion will be radically changed in your professional life
and in your personal life as a result of the globalization of the
information society?

In short, all things written and read. By that I mean to say that my
data subjectivity is described by the symbols used to trace my
activities, transactions, purchases, movements, communications, and all
other manner of actions or promises; tracing and reading these records
is determined in a global context by privacy legislation, regulations,
guidelines, and best principles. These tracings comprise my identity, in
whole and in part. Over and above these quantifiable metrics, I am also
a being that exists as more than simply the sum of parts represented,
which in this case are tracings of my humanity. This
ghost-in-the-machine quality of me is affected by the impositions, roles
and responsibilities that affect quantifiable metrics about me, such as
when personally identifiable information is regulated by Privacy
legislation.

 In a global context, laws and regulations protecting personally
identifiable information are now roughly twenty to thirty years old.
Nevertheless, much still remains to be worked out, such as international
flows of data, use of personally identifiable information by third
parties, re-use and inconsistent use of information collected for
another purposes, what can be collected, or what can be sold without the
knowledge or approval of the individuals to whom it pertains.

 Intending to work as an information professional means making the
application and maturation of these guidelines, principles, regulations,
policies and legislation fair, equitable and pragmatic. This means
interpreting global trends, policies and legislation in an increasingly
information-reliant global society.