[Sigiii-l] Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:54:28 EDT 2003

(student)

The relatively unhindered access to information globally has enabled
information professionals like myself, to recognize the abundant
learning opportunities available to anyone with access to the internet.
It is important for individuals living and working in an information
society to have access to different learning opportunities. The
development of distance education and interactive learning programs has
provided access to education and knowledge from anywhere. They also
provide an affordable and viable solution to educational institutions
that are overcrowded and understaffed. Having access to distance
education allows individuals, who might otherwise never go back into a
classroom, the opportunity to increase their knowledge and education.
 From a Global perspective, distance education and interactive learning
allows individuals from anywhere in the world to share their knowledge
and gain an education. As a lifelong student having access to distance
education courses allowed me to continue my studies and be a “stay at
home mom”.

As an information professional it is important to know what the
information needs are for distance education and interactive learning
students and to ensure that the materials for discussion and assignments
are available. As an information professional, I need to cope with ever
changing technologies needed to ensure that information for distance
education and interactive learning programs is available, reliable and
searchable on line. I also need to keep abreast of the types of courses
being offered through distance education so that I can meet each
student’s information needs. The information science community could
help informational professionals cope with these changes by conducting
research about what the unique information needs of global students are.
The information science community can help themselves to cope with
change by seeking the expertise of information professionals on how to
manage and organize the information needs of distance education and
interactive learning students.