[Sigiii-l] More Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:55:19 EDT 2003

During the development of globalization, media does a great work to
promote this process; and at the same time, media is processing its own
globalization. Media and globalization are mutually growing up together.

About 20 years ago, when I was still a child, I learned about the
countries outside of China from the local TV station. At that time,
there are only limited accesses to the world. Most of countries have
only the local media which opened special zones for international issue,
such as the international news in local newspaper. At that time, the
National Geography or the BBC is rarely known in China; at the mean
time, people outside China have limited approaches to the knowledge of
China. But now the globalization is getting obvious and irresistible.
The media, as a social product, are reaching and have to reach every
corner of the world to develop, and to earn money, no matter what
country, society or religion it represents. Globalization supplies a
much wider space for medias development. At this point, globalizing
also means MONEY. That well supports why media is right on the way.

The big change in media makes it easier to know overseas without a real
trip. TV programs, radios, newspaper, and the internet, all of these
media are not only local businesses any more, but international. Under
such a situation, people gain much information passively or actively.
And this information is affecting their life unconsciously. At present,
we may see people from different places but share the same or similar
food, clothes, life style and habit. Globalization is going on right
beside us. Media makes it easier.

However, the medias globalization gives the public a fair chance to
know each others, but it also brings us many issues. The information, no
matter positive or negative, no matter true or false, it is going around
freely and quickly, what lead to problems: privacy, copyright, and other
social issues. As for the general public, when we are enjoying the
multicultural, we may also occasionally put on our own mask or filter
for flooded information.