[Sigiii-l] Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:53:37 EDT 2003

(another student contribution)

It is impossible not to marvel at the efficiency of emerging
communications technology and the global economy which it has spawned.
It nevertheless raises serious questions about the future of the nation
state and democracy. The rhetoric surrounding globalization can be truly
overwhelming and the potential difficulties involved in managing an
ever-expanding mass of information can quickly lead to panic. How can
one hope to manage this mass? More importantly- Will information only be
transmitted in a homogenized form disseminated by the world’s super-powers?

While dazzling new technologies promise profound cultural
transformation, it is interesting to note how little things have
actually changed. New cultural products (and their accompanying
ideological presumptions) have only supplanted the old ones and new
types of cultures have emerged to replace and complement existing ones.
On a larger scale, we have seen the dominant cultural forces continue to
gather their power. The disparities of our “local” societies now exist
on a global scale as the rich and powerful exercise their power on the
rest. Similarly, the presence of state-of-the-art communications
technology has not made the process of communication any easier. Recent
terrorist actions and grudge wars have shown that the brute force
(coupled with age-old propaganda methods) remains the most efficient
means of getting one’s message across.

It is too late to worry about the threat of domination posed by the
world’s information super-powers. Globalization is only the next step in
the human evolutionary process. The role of information professionals
will thus remain the same: to add value to information by navigating and
judging information sources to the best of their abilities. Certainly
new skills will have to be acquired, but this would be the case both
within a ‘free’ democracy and under tyrannical rule. Let us hope that we
are neither swayed by blind optimism nor halted by jaded defeatism.