[Sigiii-l] More Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:52:26 EDT 2003

(student's contribution)

Many have said that globalization of the information society will be a
beneficial phenomenon because it will increase the amount of information
being generated worldwide and enable information to be disseminated to a
global audience. My fear though, is that the global information society
will not be global at all. I am concerned that it will mean the
homogenization and centralization of knowledge so that information will
only reflect a Western perspective and only be accessible to those with
financial resources and/or an Internet connection. In truth, I imagine
the results will be both positive and negative, and this will have to be
negotiated and monitored by a global community to increase the former
and keep the latter in check.

This has particular consequences for me both personally and
professionally. As a feminist I am committed to the notion that “the
personal is political”. My personal convictions and sense of ethical
obligation informs how I will conduct myself professionally. As an
information professional, or one who works in a library and is a keeper
and disseminator of information, I feel a grave responsibility to ensure
that information does not become the property of that but a privileged few.

I have made this grand claim many times before but have never really
thought about what I should be doing to ensure that the globalization of
information does not result in a diminishment of information. So I did
sit down and think about it. Some introspection led me to realize that I
fancy myself an academic and it is here that I will make my biggest
contribution. I should continue to keep the discussions alive and ensure
that I consume, debate and contribute to all manner of media and medium,
particularly those that will broaden rather than diminish global
knowledges.