[Sigia-l] Classifying the internet

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 12 19:54:17 EDT 2007

Frank Shepard:

> I'm not sure that there is a neat 1:1 mapping from functionality to type.

Bingo.

What would be the purpose of classifying the Internets? Without knowing
that, it's impossible to settle on an approach.

For example, amazon.com would likely be classified under e-commerce (as they
are one of the largest transactional sites on the planet). At one time for
about two years, I didn't have an account there, never bought anything and
had no intention of doing so. I used it purely for informational purposes.
My relationship with it was no different than the one I had with, say, a
news site, which obviously isn't transactional commerce. Or is it? AdSense
can turn any site into a transactional outfit, after all.

NYT with TimesSelect was an e-commerce site selling news on a subscription
basis. With TimesSelect gone, is it an e-commerce site selling news by
transactional advertising? It's all a matter of POV.

The notion of a "site" is anachronistic to begin with: what the heck is
Yahoo.com?

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.