[Sigia-l] Classifying the internet

Frank Shepard fgshepard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:23:07 EDT 2007

The internet has much more "functionality" than what we encounter on
individual web-pages. It seems to me that an accurate functional definition
of websites will have to take account of a lot more than the user-directed
behavior. In other words, I'm not sure that there is a neat 1:1 mapping from
functionality to type. Websites are informational relays. Every visit to a
site results in multiple transactions, some of which are monetary, and these
are distributed among numerous parties. A list limited to items such as
"selling something", "branding something", etc. doesn't begin to describe or
define the full functionality. And these aren't simply technical issues.
Each of these transactions figures into someone's business plan. And many of
these probably have almost nothing *directly* to do with the stuff the user
sees (i.e., the people who manage these transactions probably don't deal
much with the actual pages -- they deal in statistics, etc.). And these
aren't separate domains -- they put constraints on one another.

Best,
Frank