[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Thu Jun 21 12:12:22 EDT 2007

> Certification will not solve that problem you will still get
> candidates that really don't have the experience and I've been
> around enough to know that because one has a certification, doesn't
> make them good.

Absolutely. Certification is not a guarantee of quality. Engineers
still make bridges that fall down and doctors still get charged with
malpractice. But certification does help lower the occurence of such
things, and can also introduce some forms of accountability.
Moreover, certification, in some form, is vital to these
professions.

Which is why I think "certification" (I use the term broadly) is
such a complex topic. And one worth talking about for it would
impact so many aspects of the field.

And because it's complex and would have such far reaching
consequences, I don't think we can take a question like "What
happened to the good IAs?" and solve it through certification, nor
claim that certification is a simple issue.

--
Karl Fast
http://www.livingskies.com/