[Sigia-l] Certification

Fred Leise fred.leise at intuitect.com
Thu Jun 21 16:20:21 EDT 2007

I find it interesting that the issue of certification is coming up here.
The American Society of Indexers (people who do back-of-book and other
kinds of indexing) has been debating the issue of certification for
nearly 20 years, and I don't think they are even close to a resolution.
Some of the questions raised during ASI discussions include (in no
particular order):

1. Why do I need certification since I've been indexing for 25 years and
my clients already know the quality of work I produce? Do we
automatically grandfather in successful indexers with a certain number
of years of experience? Does length of time indexing have anything to do
with the quality of indexes produced?
2. Does certification imply a certain level of quality? If so, how is
that level of quality determined?
3. The context for every index is different. Does certification imply
that the indexer can always do a good job?
4. Why should publishers care if an indexer is certified or not?
5. Is the society itself liable if a certified indexer does a bad job
and causes actual harm (say the bad index to a medical text that
prevented a doctor from finding relevant information)?  (I know that's a
stretch, but remember, in this country we sue for anything.)
6. What gives ASI the right to certify indexers any way.
7. Who will prepare certification materials?
8. Will our certification process itself need to be certified?
9. How much will it cost us to run? (Dick Hill already provided one
answer to that.)
10. Do we certify only members? If so, what happens when someone decides
to drop their membership? How do we police their continuing use of the
certification?
11. What kind of continuing education is necessary?
12. How do we test that someone is up to the standards necessary for
certification?
13. What do people need to do to retain certification?
14. Who will be judging the certification qualifications? How did they
get to do that anyway?
15. How do we deal with indexing specialties? Do we say that indexer A
is certified only to index medical texts, but not philosophical treatises?

So, yes, I agree with Karl Fast that the question of certification is
complicated. As a point of reference, ASI is 40 years old this year, so
that issue has been discussed for fully half of the organization's lifetime.

Fred

Fred Leise
Vice President, Methodology and Product Strategy
Intuitect
fred.leise at intuitect.com
o: 303.247.9000
c: 773.791.2849