[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Laurie Gray laurie.gray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:56:50 EDT 2007

Dmitry, as one of those who entered the field in the late 90's, I will be
the first to say that it's not about denying someone the career path that I
have benefitted from. In the late 90's, IA didn't exist as we know it today.
Jakob Nielsen was preaching the web usability mantra, and the human factors
folks, classically trained with their Ph.D.'s,  were feeling the pinch from
the new blood entering the field and specializing in making the
then-5-year-old Web a better place to be. I worked with those folks and they
didn't know what to do with me then.

In the ten years or so since then, we've made progress from even becoming
aware that our specialty even needed to exist to developing (like it or not,
folks) de facto standards for what we do. There is a more or less general
consensus in the ranks of what it is that we do (granted, perhaps it's
better defined by what we do NOT do) and a momentum toward defining that
more clearly on a day to day basis. And, we're interconnected. The work that
YOU do as an IA has, down the line in some dotted line, zig-zag pattern, an
impact on the perceived value of what *I* do as an IA, and vice versa.

So no, it's nothing about protecting any kingdoms and keeping the goody for
ourselves as your post suggests. It's about taking responsibility for the
destiny of our careers. It's about taking responsibility for the quality of
our work and our titles and not diluting the value of the work we do so that
this value is maintained and increases for all involved, junior and senior
alike. To that point, we have some level of responsibility to the field to
shepherd the forward momentum, since as founders of sorts, it's unreasonable
to expect us to simply hand over the reins to someone else to drive. And I
do feel strongly that we *do* have the responsibility of helping to "grow
them (the junior level staff) up", in order to preserve the quality of the
work and the vision of the field.

Now, if you want to take issue with how we've collectively not mentored our
junior staff, I'm with you. To the audience: if you're having issues finding
quality junior staff, are you a mentor? If not, why not? I dare you...
<stepping down from soap box so someone else can have a turn>

Laurie (an IAI mentor, incidentally)