[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Nancy Broden nancy.broden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 22:10:01 EDT 2007

I don't want to speak for all of us out there who did start in the
late 90's, but I can assure you Dmitry my career progression was
anything but rapid. It took me 8 years to finally move into a role
where I have a real say in a project's experience strategy and
actively manage more junior IAs and interaction designers, and my
salary barely budged during that time. Surviving the dot-com crash
was no doddle, my friend.

We are now clearly in another growth period and solid mid-level
designers with 5 or so years experience are hard to find. I consider
everyone who submits their resume to me. I talk to the ones who have
a good degree and/or some relevant experience. I hire based on talent
and potential, but initial salary is set by where they are starting -
usually junior or lower mid-level. I do compensate based on
performance, however. If someone on my team learns, grows and fills
the role of a senior IA, they're salary will reflect that - be it in
6 months, a year or more.

On Jun 20, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Dmitry Nekrasovski wrote:

> At the same time, I'd like to point out that many of these hiring
> managers started their UX careers in the late 90's, when all you
> really needed to call yourself a Web/design professional was a pulse.
>
> It seems a bit hypocritical to me that some of them now want to deny
> recent entrants to the field the kind of rapid career progression they
> had enjoyed themselves.

Nancy Broden
nancy.broden at gmail.com