[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Laurie Gray laurie.gray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:54:29 EDT 2007

Yep. This was my last in-house position. They knew they needed an IA and had
had an IA before but didn't know enough about the breadth of the
work/position to feel that they could lead a mid-level or junior. Hence,
they advertised for a "Senior IA", thinking that whoever they hired would
know enough to produce the deliverables needed. It was all great for awhile
while I got systems in place for work process, but eventually, it became
obvious that they were totally disinterested in the other "senior" stuff
that I brought to the table (most notably translating business strategy into
design). When it got to the point that I was simply a wireframe jockey,
making no headway on expanding the strategic value I could offer to the
company, it was time for me to go. It may or may not be significant that
this company had about 125 employees and at the time was about 6 years old.

Laurie