[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Wed Jun 20 12:11:22 EDT 2007

> In the New York market there is a shortage of Junior IAs and
> IAs but there are plenty of Senior IAs. Which would suggest
> that there are no IAs entering the workforce, however that
> doesn't seem to be the case. The majority of the senior IAs I
> am interviewing are at best Junior and the rest are certainly
> not senior.

Tell me about it. I've interviewed many IAs this year with less than 2-3
years experience who are seeking lead-level IA positions (and salaries).
It's madness.

As far as certification goes, I don't see any need whatsoever. You read
their resumes, look at their work, and interview them face to face and
ask them to talk about their work -- that's how you learn their skills.
That's the ONLY way. Just because their former employer may have been
willing to let an entry-level IA do the work of a senior IA doesn't mean
that you have to follow suit.

I don't mean to discourage talented and ambitious early-career IAs from
trying to take on more and more challenging work, but I am sometimes
frustrated by the amount of "social promotion" happening in the IA field
nowadays. Must be a side effect of the bubblish economy right now.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey
Behavior
http://www.behaviordesign.com