[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Laurie Gray laurie.gray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:03:53 EDT 2007

Hi, Giovanni, we're seeing this in Atlanta as well. I suspect it's because
in many cases, as soon as someone entering the field has a year or two
experience under their belt, they're determined to be "close enough" to
senior and are getting snapped up eventually by a smaller company that is ok
with them in a senior role. It's the larger companies, IMO, that are being
more stringent in their searches for true seniors. I do think that those in
the field who are true seniors got their start prior to the dot-com
implosion and stayed employed in the field during the dark times of the
early 00's. Not a lot of new talent entered the field during that time, but
as the field has gotten more popular, we've seen juniors coming in.

I think we're all partially responsible for the lack of well-qualified
mid-level staff in the field because aside from the IAI's mentoring
community, there are not widespread, solid mentorship/growth models for
those starting in the field. It's a conversation we've certainly had here in
Atlanta, and a conversation that popped up more than once last week at the
UPA conference. I, too, have plenty of ideas as to why this is the case and
how we can fix it, if this this thread continues.

Laurie