[Sigia-l] "Getting the design right, and getting the right design"

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com
Fri Jun 15 09:05:51 EDT 2007

> Does anyone know of any papers, articles, blogs, etc *from
> the usability
> camp* that speak to "getting the design right" part of the equation?

I'm finding it hard really to understand the issues in the question, but
I thought this was interesting because I was utterly confused by it:

http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/why_doing_user_obser.html

"...I now suggest that for many projects the order is design, then
study"

"Let the programming and marketing teams know how the product will look
and behave at the very start of the project. Have faith in our ability
to design well-crafted, understandable interfaces and procedures..."

"We need to discover what users need before the project starts, for once
started, the direction has already been determined."

That sound you just heard were my fuses blowing.

Jonathan