[Sigia-l] "Getting the design right, and getting the right design"

John Fullerton jfullert at lib-gw.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 15 13:43:14 EDT 2007

Commenting about the following without reading any additional info

If the programming team knows these things (what is desired of the program) at the start, then the planning they're going to do (they have to do the planning I'm about to mention) will have these needs in mind (trust them, as the quote says) and they will not create data storage and processes in the programming that works against these needs.

Example need--editing program needs to be able to edit either html or text and handle files up to 1 MB.

what the programming team will do--basically, they now have to write code that will handle these needs. Trust them hmm :) to create and test (verify) that their code can load and edit html or text and that it can handle files up to 1 MB. They will test with 1 MB files.

If the system needs to switch rapidly from screen to screen, that too will be in their early considerations as they make the starting decisions in writing the program.

Have a nice day
John Paul Fullerton
j-fullerton at tamu.edu

>>> "Jonathan Baker-Bates" <Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com> 6/15/2007 8:05 AM >>>
"...I now suggest that for many projects the order is design, then
study"

"Let the programming and marketing teams know how the product will look
and behave at the very start of the project. Have faith in our ability
to design well-crafted, understandable interfaces and procedures..."

"We need to discover what users need before the project starts, for once
started, the direction has already been determined."