[Sigia-l] Just for you women out there

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 22:50:27 EDT 2007

Alexander Johannesen:

>> You mean it should be somebody else's? :-)

> No, I'm perfectly happy with these being yours and yours alone, but
> you do present them - at least, that's how I read them - as something
> higher that just your own little opinions ... almost like they
> represent some kind of definitive guide to what good and bad design is
> all about.

Opinions are opinions. "Definitive guides" (whatever they are) are, by
definition, not opinions. You may think my opinions are 'little,' I may
think yours are great. That's the way it works.

> I'm asking you to explain why your opinion in this matter
> should be taken more seriously than "just because."

For about two decades I've been working in the enterprise space (and mostly
in Wall Street) where numbers, stats, best practices, ROIs or any other
'objective measurement' run supreme. I may know a few things about these,
but I can't recall the last time I was hired because of mere mastery of some
quantifiable aspect of technology, design or architecture. Facts are cheap
and access to them is all you need. Opinions are much harder to come by.
Now, my 'little' opinion on this, for the last time, is this:

Gratuitous. Pandering. Misapplied. Crude.

It'll cause you no pain to ignore them. However, thinking that design is
somehow a wholly quantifiable endeavor with 'justification' from 'bigger'
authorities may.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.