[Sigia-l] Just for you women out there

Leisa Reichelt leisa.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:46:30 EDT 2007

According to the Guardian pink = weakness. The article says:

"If you're in a meeting full of men and you get out a pink phone," points
out Weaser, "you're probably putting yourself at an even greater
disadvantage."

what the?!

the general gist of the article as I read it is that companies started
making their devices in pink and women bought them up, because they liked
them. But that, actually, it was just the companies tricking women into
buying products that weren't actually improved, just a different colour.
(This is hardly a new thing, it's just pink that's new).

The article ends by inferring that women must be now seeing sense because
the new colour palettes from companies like Blackberry now don't include
pink.

anyone remember that crazy old thing called 'fashion', or, if you will,
'trend'

I for one quite like my pink screwdriver. For me, it's a way of feminising
something that I use all the time quite capably but is still largely
considered a tool that men use.

I buy it quite aware of the fact that I'm paying more just to get it in
pink.

It's not a sign of weakness or stupidity.

as for the pink Hello Kitty diamonte laptop - well that just screams
Japanese youth culture to me much more than it says 'a laptop for chicks'.
The cultural context here is much more relevant than the gender one in this
instance I'd suggest.

Leisa

ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,,2098269,00.html