[Sigia-l] How the design process fits into the agile methodology

Victor Lombardi victor at victorlombardi.com
Sun Feb 18 12:23:40 EST 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Ziya wrote:

> Livia Labate:
>
>> the agile nature of the development really only speaks to the
>> development
>> cycle
>
> I wonder if there's general agreement on that. (I myself don't have a
> position.) If the development cycle has, say, 30 steps, it's
> relatively easy
> to conjecture how steps 3-30 may evolve through iteration. But who
> determines what the *first* 2-3 steps will be?

These two comments seem to get at the heart of the issue. Agile is an
approach to software development, while our focus is the larger
development of the product. In my experience the latter becomes agile
when the team takes a craft approach: the designer and technician are
the same person, or at least tightly coupled teams (6 or less people
building the same parts at essentially the same time). Anything else
inevitably involves some waterfalls.

Victor