[Sigia-l] You're not alone

Arthur Fink arthur at arthurfink.com
Sat Feb 17 07:40:43 EST 2007

At 02:41 AM 2/17/2007, Ziya Oz wrote:
>If anything can illustrate the delicate dance among clients, designers and
>developers transposed into another profession, this is it. :-)

It doesn't read as very "delicate" to me.

Architects asked to work within a budget of X, designing a project
that will cost 2X (where X is experienced as a large number by the
client).  In my experience many architects excel in the design phase
but are weak in assessing initial conditions on a renovation
project.  A bit more humility, and use of consultants for that area,
could make a big difference.

Part of listening to users is listening to their sense of their own
constraints.

At what point do you tell a client that their budget will buy
something, but twice or three times the budget will buy something of
much more value and with much better payback?

Arthur

          ARTHUR FINK Consulting  arthur at arthurfink.com
           Ten New Island Avenue  Listening to users
       Peaks Island, Maine 04108  Designing for people
              www.ArthurFink.com  User interfaces that work
207.766.5722  cell 207.615.5722  Progress training + consulting