[Sigia-l] The Time magazine person of the year is YOU

Skot Nelson skot at penguinstorm.com
Mon Dec 18 13:06:30 EST 2006

Olly Wright wrote:
> Does anyone know of a business model that Time could use to do this,
> replacing its current model?

Kill the print publication. They can then post the proceedings of the
revolution online.

The problem is that in the current media environment, Time is immensely
more profitable in print. If they *did* kill the print publication
others would likely pick up the slack...the people for whom Time
Magazine was a reliable (I use the term loosely) source of information
would look to another print publication for a replacement.

At least enough of them would. For now.

Time Magazine is designed and conceived as *mass* media. They push the
*same* content out to million of people. The model just doesn't work for
the "you" generation.

Nicholas Negroponte used to talk about television in the same way. The
cult of television -- distributors, owners, stations -- all talked about
the "500 channel" universe. The reality, as Nicholas used to point out,
is that the goal should be a "1 channel" universe.

I don't want four magazine subscriptions: I want one, I just want the
content that suits me.

Time Magazine will not convert until the economics of converting make it
feasible. It's not a visionary media outlet, it's not a revolutionary
organization: it's a profit centre for a mass media conglomerate

The question I have is: what timeframe will this change in? I consider
myself the upper end of a bridge generation (35...ish) who uses both
traditional and modern media. The next generation is not a bridge: they
have been raised in the modern, Internet as media environment.

10 years? I think 20 is too long.

In 10 years will Time Magazine exist? Will any, as we currently think of
them?