[Sigia-l] Ajax vs. $$$

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Tue Aug 29 11:35:57 EDT 2006

> One of these days your management or client will
> ask you this very question: why should we use AJAX
> if it can reduce our ad revenue?

If your client's or your company's revenue model is based on advertising, as
an information architect your job is to increase page views on the site.
Period.

Naturally, you job is to do it in such a way that makes the reader/customer
more likely to come to the site again and again -- that is, you don't want
to annoy them with a hard-to-use site. But make no mistake: ease of use is
NOT your #1 priority. If you think it is, you are a bad information
architect and you are not helping your client or company.

I know Ziya agrees with this. Does anyone actually disagree? Is it the IAs
job to be a usability advocate even if their advocacy flies in the face of
the core business objective?

-Cf

Christopher Fahey