[Sigia-l] Your take on MySpace

Jay Linden jeigh at rogers.com
Tue Aug 8 21:50:00 EDT 2006

For perspective's sake:

1) I'm not an IA anymore.  I'm a solution architect (infrastructure) by
trade, which is why I don't post here anymore.

2) I'm also a musician and have a MySpace space.

3) I haven't been under 25 for over 25 (years).

My experience is that the notion of MySpace as a kids-and-musicians
environment is at least 6-8 months out of date.  Most of the musicians I
know are either fully ensconced on MySpace or getting their foot in the
water, to be sure.  But the same holds for most of the non-musicians I
know (I am 52.)

Skot seems to be suggesting that one should have a MySpace space *or* a
Website.  That's like saying one should have an automobile *or* a
refrigerator.

I suspect Skot and others probably don't understand the use and value of
MySpace.  It has little to do with being a website, as I would hope
every subscriber to this list can figure out that a MySpace presence
makes a lousy website, and is generally only used that way by people who
can't afford to also have a website or who don't have the savvy to
create one or the knowledge of someone who can.

What it is, on the other hand, is a remarkable networking and marketing
tool.  You don't have "friends"; you have mutually agreed-to networked
links to other people's presences.

If MySpace weren't mis-interfaced (forgive me verbing a noun) with a
"social network" skin, you'd have no trouble figuring out how to use it.

Here's the hypothetical.  Get a bunch of information architects onto the
environment.  They link to each other for communication, support, "water
cooler" chat, but also shared knowledge, references for potential
employers and clients, etc.  And they also interlink directly with the
potential employers and clients, industry associations, the businesses
in the industries in which they function, the people in their up- and
downstream (designers, developers, project managers) etc.

Here's how it works for me as a musician (folk singer-songwriter; feel
free to click the MySpace link at the bottom, it won't bite and neither
do I).

I'm a newcomer recording artist (and an old-comer at just about
everything else).  In just a few months, I have made contacts with other
artists all over the world, some of whom have offered to share gigs with
me or recommend me strongly to the venues in their cities.  I have
"inside track" contacts with organizations (such as Folk Alliance),
media, venues, artists who sing other people's songs, and a handful of
top flight musicians who otherwise would never have heard what I do but
who now give me credentials by their respect for my music.

I have sold CDs to people who found me there.  I have arranged
publicity.  I have a page from which an unlimited number of streams and
downloads of my music can be taken at no cost (the thousand or so
plays/month I've been getting would be costing me upwards of an extra
$20/month in bandwidth from my own website).

And, of course, through the marvels of hypertext, I integrate my MySpace
space (say that three times fast) with my sales page on CD Baby, my own
website, anything else I want.  Sort of like being able to take a cold
soft drink from the refrigerator and drink it in my car.

Would this have worked with my own website?  You figure it out.  Who in
the name of Zeus' white beard is going to go to my website if they don't
already know who I am?  But you only need to know and like one or more
of the several hundred good artists with "friend" links who have a
musical affinity to mine to find a link to my MySpace page.

This means that I not only have vastly better marketing clout through
MySpace than I could ever get through my site alone, but I can also
target and segment my market, by sharing links with the kinds of artists
whose fans would like my music, and offering the same back.

Would this work in the pharmaceutical, NGO, public, manufacturing or IT
industries?  Of course it would.

And if MySpace weren't set up with an interface like a place where kids
gather, and an outdated reputation for attracting just kids and
musicians, it would be way easier for grownups to figure this out.

--

Jay Linden                                    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Songwriter etc.				    	    http://jaylinden.com