[Sigia-l] Web browser based diagramming

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 11:55:15 EDT 2006

>From: Peter Van Dijck <peter at poorbuthappy.com>
>To: Listera <listera at rcn.com>
>CC: SIGIA-L <sigia-l at asis.org>
>Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] Web browser based diagramming
>Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:10:46 -0400
>
>My comment at the summit was about pain. Fix the pain. These "do-it-all"
>tools, I've seen too many of them. And they all have have failed, at some
>point. Perhaps someone will nail it, but until then, there are quite a few
>painpoints IA's actually struggle with, that are not being addressed.

Good to see pain points being used to heal our own problems.

>Content inventories suck, parly coz of the tools.

Are you talking about inventory of existing content of a site?  Sounds like
that is dependent on how the pages are coded up and which cms is behind
them.  I have spent days building content inventory and 'as is' site maps so
understand the pain.

>Speccing out ajax stuff: no good tools. *That* is where I'd like to see
>some efforts. The things we actually struggle with.

The last 'web 2.0' app I specced was done paper based wireframes - it's just
far too time consuming and each 'page' ends up with countless versiions and
flows even with reuse of common elements so I can understand that. Ziya's
suggestion of just building it without planning it first does appear to be
attractive given there's no alternative - but there's no real tools to do
that either, not that arnt essential progammer based environments and are
highly implimentation based.

My feeling is the tools to solve this pain are likely to be more akin to a
CMS that also understands functional flows as well. There are many tools to
develope the front end implimentation like Expression, Flash, Dreamweaver
and what ever Web 2.0 authoring environments come along. Incidently much of
the new jargon for the new breed of dynamic websites is appearing on the
front end, far too often. Do we really need new words like 'permalink'?
Let's keep a perspective on the whole web 2.0 thing and not feel that RSS
feeds can save the world.

Stewart Dean