[Sigia-l] Bottoms-up tagging

Louise Hewitt lhlists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:12:47 EDT 2005

Marcel:
>What is'alternative' to me might be ' folk' to you. (e.g. The Roches)

Totally! My major gripe with iTunes - it thinks that African and
Appalachian music are the same thing: folk.  And I have 4 seperate
'HipHop' categories. I miss stuff I want because I'm trusting the
tags. If we can change the tags once we adopt the content into our own
system then it's not such a problem in the wider scheme of things -
let's face it, we're trusting DJ's to define our listening choices all
the time.

But the bottom up model must work because of lists like these. The
users create the knowledge in their own subject area - like Wikipedia.
It takes time and effort so most will only contribute if they are
enthusiastic, knowledgable and willing to put their judgement on the
line.

I'd better go then... ;-)

Louise Hewitt