[Sigia-l] Microsoft way vs Apple way

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sat Oct 29 17:58:58 EDT 2005

Skot Nelson:

> It may be that Intel creates a solution by brute  force that
> Microsoft must accept. I somehow doubt it.

You can doubt all you want, but it's already done.

Intel's Vanderpool and AMD's Pacifica are hardware-level virtualization for
x86/AMD64/emt64 processors. They are like VMWare or VPC in hardware. When
used with Xen or VMware, you can run several OSes simultaneously.

So if Apple wanted to virtualize Windows on its upcoming Intel machines
(Intel's Yonah is dual-core, with SMT and virtualization, and later Merom
takes this to 64bits), it could.

While technically possible, whether this is strategically desirable is an
entirely different issue.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba