[Sigia-l] Touching you, touching me

Davezilla davezilla at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:06:32 EST 2005

> I'd love to know in which cultures you would consider it peculiar, and in what way.

Ziya could be correct. I took a course in proximetrics. Rather
revealing. For example, most American males stand one metre apart and
consider anything closer to be an invasion of space. Hispanic males,
by contrast, stand very close to each other, often keeping one hand on
a friend's shoulder. Stand a metre apart from a Hispanic male and he
may assume you dislike him. Stand closer than a metre to an American
male and he *may* perceive a threat, which is exactly why drill
sergeants do it.

Yes, these are gross generalizations. YMMV.

--
Dave Linabury,
Information Architect || Campbell-Ewald