[Sigia-l] Alternative compensation for usability participants?

Thomas Quine Thomas.Quine at lss.bc.ca
Mon Jun 27 20:05:49 EDT 2005

Stew wrote:

>Yep cash is neutral and somehow it's just a token thing. Put it like
this -
>if you are dealing with 'high wealth individuals' they won't turn out
for
>20 pounds (about forty dollars) right?  Proved me wrong as well. The
money
>is just a token thing I feel. Vouchers and cut price products, well
they
>are too culturally entangled - much like wine or any other thing you
could
>give. Money is less cultured :)

>Stewart Dean
>User Experience Person

There's a very good study about how incentives affect performance in the
workplace that proves a few things such as:

1. Incentives really work to improve target performance
2. Money is far and away the most effective incentive.

This study focuses on workplace performance, but the principles apply to
performance of any task or duty...

http://www.hsa-lps.com/Performance_WS_2002.htm

- Thom

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I
have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two
ideas."
- George Bernard Shaw