[Sigia-l] Flash 7 only on 76% computers (was: MacromediaFlash paper...)

David Mendels dmendels at macromedia.com
Sat Jan 15 09:02:35 EST 2005

Hi,

It isn't that hard.  The last stats I saw were that only 56% of Windows
users had Windows XP.  Many are on earlier versions and may well not have a
working version of WMP.  Further, the test, whether it is your preferred
methodology or not, tests whether a viewer can actually experience content
with a given player (Flash, QT, Windows Media, Acrobat, etc), not whether it
is "installed". As we all know, none of our software always works as
expected, and it is certainly possible that some folks have something
"installed" but it isn't actually working as expected.

Anyway, everyone can take these statistics and form their own judgements.  I
think the methodology is the most effective I have seen, but I would be
interested in hearing other suggestions for methodology.  At the least, we
try to be transparent about exactly what we are measuring, and we provide
results by version.  So that arms you to form your own judgements.

As someone pointed out Flash 7 is on 76% of computers.  That was the
September data published in October.  Should be interesting to see the
December data which we will publish usually by the end of January.

Regards,
David