[Sigia-l] Research then prototype OR prototype then gather user feedback

Trenouth, John John.Trenouth at cardinal.com
Mon Dec 19 18:53:10 EST 2005

I appreciate the 3rd approach Jared mentions, and how having something
concrete is definitely valuable.  However, people seem to try to
understand new things in terms of what's familiar.  Early prototypes
necessarily become what's familiar and frame the subsequent
discussion/mindset/direction.

So, isn't there a danger inherent in such hasty early self-referential
prototypes, in that they get a project started from "our"
(designers/developers/managers) perspective and needs rather than
"their" (users/customers) perspective needs?   So the project becomes
producer-centered rather than user-centered?

Or am I just splitting hairs here?

The situation that led me to ask is that I'm getting involved in a new
project where the marketing manager is starting off with visio sketches
and bringing them out to potential users for feedback.  These sketches
are based only on his understanding of the users' workflows and
experiences.

Both my education and experience tell me this is dangerous
(self-referential designs based on tacit marketing assumptions and
tribal conventional wisdom rarely seem to provide great products).  But
I'm also a little skeptical of my own bias here.  So thanks for sharing
so far; its helpful.

-- john trenouth