[Sigia-l] How to evaluate your team of interaction designers?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Dec 8 20:00:57 EST 2005

Eric Scheid:

>> Which brings up an interesting question: should feedback be given at any
>> time when it's most fresh/relevant/needed or in a formalized/designated
>> fashion every 6/12 months because, well, that's just best practice?
>
> why not both?

Fair question.

The meaningful difference here is between artificially mandated vs.
just-in-time.

I suspect that where artificial dates are mandated (6/12 months),
just-in-time evaluation/feedback is ignored and is not an integrated part of
the workflow. (If you must do something in 6 months, why bother now? Or if
you are doing it now, why bother with it in 6 months again?)

Why can't the two methods serve two different purposes? I suppose they
could, though I'm not sure how just-in-time would fail in most cases. I
suppose again that in the vast majority of cases where artificially mandated
reviews are the standard, there's very little or no systematic just-in-time
review.

In case it's not apparent, I think those managers who hide behind 6/12 month
reviews instead of providing just-in-time evaluation/mentoring and the
current best practice that allows this to continue are criminally negligent.
:-)

----
Ziya

"Innovate as a last resort."