[Sigia-l] Personas vs. Audience Analysis

Dan Saffer dan at odannyboy.com
Wed Aug 31 10:22:19 EDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 11:52 PM, Listera wrote:

> Advertising industry, often targeting an audience larger than
> Google's, does
> in fact imagine personality types, whose patterns for
> adoption/consumption/loyalty/empathy/emulation/etc are paramount.

The failure rate for advertising is huge, possibly as a result of
this sort of segmenting. I'm not sure using the advertising industry
as a model for design is worthwhile anyway. Ads generally have one
task: buy my stuff. Marketing demographics just tries to make sure
which demographics might be interested in their stuff.

> It turns out, separating who somebody is from what they do is a
> devilish
> pursuit. :-)

I agree it's not easy. But separating wheat from chaff is why they
pay us the big bucks, isn't it?

Dan