IA and Marketing Sneezers (was Re: [Sigia-l] Site registration

Skot Nelson skot at penguinstorm.com
Thu Aug 25 23:59:34 EDT 2005

On Aug-25-2005, at 8:28 PM, Eric Scheid quotes He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-
Named:

>> The register-or-get-lost policy
>> is not marketing-savvy, it doesn't invite

this is true only if you position it as "register or gets lost" (note
the Soprano's flavoured typo there). If this is the case, indeed you
need compelling content and, probably, a well established brand.

I fail to understand people who won't register for the New York
Times. All that good content (especially those Jayson Blair
articles :D) for the simple exchange of some information. I'm onside.

>> it doesn't allow for kicking the
>> tires, it doesn't create potential relationships, et

For lesser established sites, a "register and get MORE content" is
probably a better strategy. Also good for many established sites too.
This gives me a chance to nose around, check it out and decide if the
higher value content is worth trading my info for.

I'm taking bets on when Slate Magazine, now that it's not a M-soft
product, starts asking for registration. I give it 4 more months. I
just hope they don't go the Salon route - I don't even read that
thing any more, although that's mostly because it's content was more
lurid than compelling in the first place.

I'm continually impressed by sites that don't ask me to register and
continue to provide substantial free content - Fast Company is one.
I'm also continually amazed that they're in business.

>> c. Neither is it
>> mandatory for targeted marketing.

Wow. I'm intrigued to understand how marketing departments are
supposed to target an audience without gathering information.

Certainly direct marketing information can be purchased, but this is
a dubious practice - even more so online.