[Sigia-l] Next article in Opinion (10 of 14)

Manu Sharma manu at orangehues.com
Wed Aug 17 02:12:00 EDT 2005

Ziya:

> BTW, here's a much more interesting, informative, compelling, graphic and
> yet compact version of semi-opaque sectional navigation (see, I too can
> create fatuous phrases :-) at C|Net News:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/7kz23>
>
> Play with the little graphic box "In other news"...

I see this everyday and it always manages to annoy me and therefore gets
"nuked" [1]. It's in the middle of the story I'm reading and it tries to
attract my attention by animating. Like everyone else, I hate animation when
I'm trying to do something else.

Another reason I don't like it is because coming from the RSS reader, I'm
usually familiar with most of those other stories.  I've either read them or
they hold no interest to me. So when I come across the "In other news"
animation box... I'm like "can I read _this_ story please?"

I'd perhaps value it if it were at the bottom of the article so I get to see
this after I'm done reading. But then again, I imagine that many people
don't read complete articles. They scan through the first few paragraphs and
move over to the next thing they're doing. The sad thing is, this feature
encourages that behavior rather than making it easier to read/scan the
content that interests them.

Manu.

[1] I use a Firefox extension called Nuke Anything to remove annoying page
elements like these with a click or two. It's more versatile and easier to
use than Ad-block. http://tinyurl.com/99tjg