[Sigia-l] programmers/designers

Billie Mandel Billie.Mandel at openwave.com
Tue Aug 16 20:19:27 EDT 2005

The point isn't whether programmers can design or designers can program.
It's great for cooperation and efficiency when one team member has a
deep understanding of what is needed to do the other's job.  As far as
I'm concerned, though, the point is that on any given project, for the
most part, programmers *shouldn't* design, and designers shouldn't
program.  It's a division of labor that helps produce quality products
(to me at least, and to the esteemed Messrs. Cooper and Reimann).

It's just like writing and editing.  Writers can usually edit (and often
do so, professionally) and vice versa.  Does that mean I should be the
editor for my own manual/novel/article?  Hell no.  My writing is best
when I have that extra set of eyes, the questions, the collaboration.
Does it help me if my editor also happens to be someone whom I respect
as a writer? Absolutely.

- Billie

Billie Mandel
Information Architect