[Sigia-l] Maintenace of Taxonomies - Spliting / Merging

Melvin Kumar melvink2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:42:47 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I have a question and was wondering if anyone can point me to any
resources / or any inputs on how you can handle this situation.

How do you handle Adding /removing /splitting and merging of the
categories in your taxonomy.

For example: Merging

When you merge two categories togather : you specify that all
content with metadata "Folk dance" and "Bluegrass dance"
are to be put in this new category called "Classical dances".

Splitting:

But how do you handle when you need to split the content in a
particular category, where the  metadata says "Classical
dances" and I need it to be broken into "Fok dances" and "Bluegrass"?

Here are two example methods:

1) Tag documents to describe various attributes and rules to
manupilate the metadata. So all the content can be classified into the
appropriate categories based on your rules.

2) Tagg all documents in a category with the same attributes until a
certain cut off point, where the category is split and the selection
of documents are taken and retagged with new atttributes.

What other methods do you'll use?

Any and all inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Jay