[Sigia-l] Linnean naming system faces challengers

Dwayne King dking at pinpointlogic.com
Mon Sep 13 16:05:13 EDT 2004

I think this post brings up a perfect example of difficulty in
nomenclature. Better is a slippery term with any nomenclature. While
I'd agree that Kelvin is better for physics, I'd argue that Celsius is
more relevant for biology. Admittedly, I haven't read the article that
started this post, but I hope if they are creating a "better" system
than good ol' Carl came up with, they define better for what. Often
times better is what people know and use even if it's junk by all other
measures. Back to the temp example, the metric scale clearly makes more
sense than the english system, but try telling someone in the U.S. that
it's 23ûCelsius, and see if they have any clue what it is you're
talking about (or better yet, tell them it's 297û kelvin). So, even
though Celsius and Kelvin, by most measures are "better" measurement
systems than english, english is better when describing room temp. top
and American english speaker.

Sorry, this is pretty stream of consciousness writing. If it's too
scattered, forgive me.

Dwayne