[Sigia-l] Good examples of using a glossary?

Mike Brown mike at signify.co.nz
Mon Sep 13 21:33:48 EDT 2004

Hi

I'm looking for any good examples of a glossary being used. In
particular, we're looking at having a site where particular words on a
page will be "tagged" as having an entry in the site glossary. These
words will be links, and what we want is when they are moused-over
and/or clicked on, the glossary entry for that word will "appear".

To date we've thought of using a hidden div that would show, or a
pop-up window. The glossary "popup" would contain the entry for that
term, plus links to "see also" words and "see instead" words.

We're thinking that clicking on these links would display the entry
for that word within the existing "popup".

The whole site will be within a CMS so we're comfortable that the
functionality for this is doable. What we're wondering is if there are
any examples of something like this being done? We want to make the
experience both usable and accessible - so for example, the solution
could use javascript, but would need to be workable without.

Hope that makes sense! And thanks for any pointers.

Regards

Mike Brown

SIGNIFY LTD :: the logic behind