[Sigia-l] Redirects...

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at oyster.com
Tue Nov 2 15:58:11 EST 2004

If you're redesigning a site and wish to preserve the old URLs for
people coming in from bookmarks, search engines, 3rd party links, etc.,
a tool I've found really useful is HTTrack (http://www.httrack.com/). It
will give you a snapshot of the current site's layout which you can then
use to make a list of redirect rules to give to a sysadmin when the new
site goes up. Stuff like:

Old Site				New Site

/companyinfo/contact_us/*	/contat_us/*
/boringstuff/*			/otherinfo/boringstuff/*

Etc.

HTTrack probably won't work on Broadvision sites or other systems that
give wacky URLs though.

Jonathan

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Oyster Partners Ltd does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oyster Partners Ltd.