[Sigia-l] Sketchy Information

Richard Law rlaw at cisco.com
Mon Mar 22 12:20:08 EST 2004

Hi All,

I think it's interesting how many search engines have tried to go with
some sort of graphical approach to displaying their search results
other than just text with hyperlinks. It's also interesting how none of
these visual display models are really popular (IMHO) or that
effective. I've tried many of them and always return to Google as my
standard search engine.

I believe one of the reasons Google is so effective is that the search
results page is very straight forward and easy to understand as just
plain text. There's no extra cognitive load placed on the user to try
and understand how all the items relate to one another or how to
interpret the information or navigate the content. Google's results
page uses standard Web metaphors (e.g., simple heirarchy, hyperlinks,
etc.), which are immediately recognizable to most users. These are
standard conventions used on the Internet and we all know what they
mean and how to use them to continue on with our search for relevant
information.

I attended a BayCHI presentation last year where the founders of Google
talked about their approach to solving problems. In a nut shell, they
look at a problem and try to decide the simplest and most
straightforward method for reaching a solution and then refine from
there. One of the founders mentioned that he thought so many people in
technology were seduced by solutions in search of a problem.

With all this said, I don't mean to imply search results can't be
improved upon. However, I wonder if all the different search display
methods that seem so "cool" or "interesting" on the surface are just a
solution in search of a problem.

On a slight tangent, here's a look a couple ideas for navigating
information. The first half of this video shows some interesting ideas
on navigating down within a hierarchy of information. I thought it was
interesting that they imply the user would still "point-and-click" to
select information (like playing PONG!) verses using the keyboard to
navigate the same information.  Keep in mind, this is a reel for a
design firm that demonstrates their animation capabilities (a solution
in search of a problem), but it has some interesting ideas that need
refinement.
http://66.216.122.95/_content/_reel/_movies/ispec.htm
(You'll need the QuickTime plug-in for your browser)

Cheers!

*****
Richard