[Sigia-l] 3 click rules and key drivers

Louise Hewitt LHewitt at ofsted.gov.uk
Fri Mar 19 09:07:55 EST 2004

>> Now we have started a new initiative to work on improving overall
> satisfaction and loyalty scores and they want to improve our rating
on
> "takes few clicks to find information" among other key drivers. I
have
> been
> assigned to lead a task force to improve this key driver rating.

Hi - ouch!

Perhaps you could work on redefining 'finding the information' so that
somehow the measurement would assess whether they got it right first
time or if users then were disappointed, reversed, tried again or
abandoned the site nav for a search engine. That way your measure of
'how many clicks' would evaluate the total number of clicks to
satisfaction - not an ideal solution but perhaps a good way of getting
the "three levels down" mentality discarded in your org.

Good luck,

Lou Hewitt.

On Mar 18, 2004, at 6:22 PM, Samantha Bailey wrote:
> Now we have started a new initiative to work on improving overall
> satisfaction and loyalty scores and they want to improve our rating
on
> "takes few clicks to find information" among other key drivers. I
have
> been
> assigned to lead a task force to improve this key driver rating.
>
> I have explained that the 3 click rule has been pretty thoroughly
> debunked
> and that the desire for fewer clicks is more of a symptom of a
problem
> finding information--but here's the rub--there's *another* committee

> that's
> been assigned to address the "make information easy to find" issue.

One possible strategy would be to reframe the mission of the task
force. Make it your charge to identify which information is
strategically valuable to have a few clicks from the home page -- or,
to go even broader, which information needs to be a few clicks from
which key user task areas in the architecture.

Jesse James Garrett                                   Now in
bookstores:
jjg at jjg.net                            "The Elements of User
Experience"
http://www.jjg.net/
http://www.jjg.net/elements/

This message has been swept for viruses and other unsuitable
content by the Ofsted Mail Sweeper in accordance with the
Ofsted Electronic Communications Code of Conduct, however
care should be taken when opening any attachments from an
untrusted source.

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment to
this message.

The information in this email and any files transmitted with
it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

www.ofsted.gov.uk