[Sigia-l] Five questions about the future of this community

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Fri Mar 12 12:46:37 EST 2004

> There is one aspect to your "assumptions" that you didn't consider
> ... That is they are relative or subjective. Not everyone agrees
> with what is not those things or is those things.

This is absolutely true.

What I wanted to point out, and I probably didn't do it very well,
is that the suggestions being made stem from the idea that the
wellbeing of the group depends on the behaviour of individuals. The
thinking is that if we can deal with the issues at the individual
level then the group will be okay.

Thus we keep getting suggestions like this:

  - reflect on your post before submitting it
  - be polite
  - resolve contentious issues off-list, in private
  - ignore people you don't agree with

These are not new suggestions. Not on this list nor any other.

More importantly, these suggestions assume that if we each monitor
and control our behaviour as individuals then this will resolve
problems in the group as a whole.

I'm not so sure.

I don't think there are obvious solutions. If there were obvious
solutions, like those stated above, then we wouldn't be talking
about this. And this wouldn't happen on other lists. But it does.
Happens all the time.

We are following a pattern. How do we break out of it?

--karl
http://www.livingskies.com/