[Sigia-l] The category of "Miscellaneous"

Christina Wodtke cwodtke at eleganthack.com
Tue Jun 15 22:35:05 EDT 2004

> I have no problem at all sticking my neck out and proclaiming that
> algorithmic search will stomp manually-crafted search for the vast, vast
> majority of cases out there until the comes come home. It's better than
good
> enough.

Let me try again. I understand my request was less than coherent. Sorry,
been making a taxonomy all day-- my brain is full of BT, NT SN.

Ziya: please elaborate on your thesis. Why will a pure algorithmic search
beat a manually enhanced one?

Do you mean in all contexts, from intranet to web search? If so, why?

Do you mean a purely manually crafted one, or an enhanced one which uses
best bets for the head of the zipf curve?

What do you think the issues are? Maintenance? Human biases? Accuracy?

I understand Richard's arguments, but not yours except you are saying
"because I say so"