[Sigia-l] Re: IA and semiotics - and standards?

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Tue Jun 15 19:56:26 EDT 2004

> I may like the *idea* of purchasing all those features, but that doesn't
> necessarily translate into my getting it home and actually using them.
>
> I wonder if there is a way that manufacturers can put users closer to
> what they will actually be using, as opposed to what they think they
> might like. Ic ould see a whole new marketing technique being used.
>
> Hm. Needs further thought to distill my point.

The entire SUV market attests to the fact that manufacturers have already
put much thought into this, and come down firmly on the side of feature
bloat as a profit driver. I may just use the microwave for popcorn, and
the car for driving to my office park job, but who wants to be stuck
without the industrial-grade food-analyzer and 3-foot ground clearance
when armageddon arrives?